Signs of Borderline Personality DisorderSuch intense emotions often lead to impulsive and reckless actions. The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) lists signs and symptoms of borderline personality disorder, a few of which we highlight below:
- Fear of abandonment, which can lead to “plunging headfirst into relationships—or ending them just as quickly”
- A pattern of intense and unstable relationships with family, friends, and loved ones.
- Impulsive behaviors like spending sprees, unsafe sex, substance abuse, reckless driving, and binge eating
- Intense moods that can last a few hours to a few days
- Problems controlling anger.
- “Feelings of dissociation, such as feeling cut off from oneself, observing oneself from outside one’s body, or feelings of unreality”